Get Clucky!

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

97.5

97.5. What's that? Ah--that's what my body basal temperature was this morning. What that means, exactly, I am still a little fuzzy on. But this weekend I spend a lot of time sneakily peaking into a friend of a friend's copy of this book and I am all very excited about all the many many fascinating things it has told me. Once I am done with my work for the day, I plan on going out and buying it, and then I can report back more details--but I loved the idea of taking my temperature because it gives me something to DO while I sit around, waiting for an egg to emerge.

Anyway, here's what's most exciting about this book, at least preliminarily: because it helps you keep track of a series of functions that indicate fertility, it can teach you to know when you are fertile and when you are not. Now, for me, there have been no times of being fertile in a very long time. So I feel like I should be able to do things one wouldn't want to do when trying to get pregnant, like drink excessively and, also, roll around with my husband any time I damn well want to, without fear of repercussion. But since I could technically become pregnant at any time (who knows when I'll start ovulating?) I've been wary of doing both those things. Well, I mean, at least wary of doing both at once. I suppose the rolling around wouldn't really be a problem if I lived a good and pure lifestyle that would never endanger un tender little bebe. But, um...because I don't live quite that life style, since I've been off the pill I've felt like I needed to give up either unhealthy behaviors, or spontaneous rolling around. And that just sucks. I mean, won't have enough of self-censorship when/if un bebe is actually here?

So I love the idea of keeping track of things so that I can be as unhealthy as I want until the eggsesses emerge.

But of course, there's a catch. Turns out it's totally hard to chart your cycle until you, duh, have one. So until I get my period (and even good Toni at TCOYF doesn't have much to say about that, except that I should just be patient, already) it will be hard to know what my body does when I get one. So charting might not work well for me, just yet.

But, ever optimistic, I stuck a thermomenter in my mouth this morning before pressing snooze the first time on the alarm. And that's very pleasing.


***

PS: I just want to emphsize again how much this book has rocked my world, even though I already new the basics of what it would say--that if I wanted to keep track of my ferility I needed to do stuff like take my temp, check my fluids, etc. What is best about this book, for me, is that it made all of those things seem totally normal. And I realized that even I, who am pretty gung-ho about body awareness, had been a little skeeved out by the idea of cervical mucus. And the author is all like, what's the big deal already? Would it make you feel better to call it "cervical fluid"? Okay, so call it cerivical fluid. Whatever--you know you touch them all the time anyway. So just pay attention, right?

And it just made me realize: feminism is the radical notion that fluids are normal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home