Get Clucky!

Monday, May 16, 2005

Some thoughts on maternally "feministe" me

Today, while dodging some fairly menial work I needed to do, I posed some comments on Feministe's" site--she'd made some comments on education policy, a topic near and dear to my heart, and I took it upon myself to weigh in.

Said Feministe was engaged enough to respond to one of my comments--and because she does not know me, she just referred to me by my online "tag" thing, and called me "Mama."

Which was sort of sweet and disconcerting all at the same time.

I started this blog because I'm trying to get pregnant, and thinking of getting pregnant makes me think about both authorship and audience in new ways. And that's good, and I'm glad to have an outlet for that--but today I was feeling a little limited by it, especially since pregnancy might be a long time coming. And don't I have things to say, and authority to spend, outside of the idea of myself as a mother?

But I guess that's the question, eh? How separate are my ideas and my experiences from myself as a mother/potential mother. I was actually just reading something about this, as relates to ideas of citizenship--and maybe tomorrow I'll try and trot out some sort of polemic.

In the meantime, I just signed up for a creative commons license, which I find a bit amusing as some sort of displacement strategy. I'm not sure what I'm talking about here, folks--but I'm very protective of whatever it is I've said.


Some other bits of news:

--I just found out about the Intonation Music Fest". Very exciting! Here's to all of us getting tickets.

--Remeber how the other day I found, though my sweet dog's inquisitiveness, a dead baby bird? Well, today, through the same means, I found a DEAD BABY RAT. Except this small dead creature wasn't dead through poetic and natural forces; it had been squashed with a brick and left (with the brick) in the middle of the sidewalk. And also, it wasn't a very small baby rat. I can't tell you how disturbing this was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home