Get Clucky!

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Acceptable Risk

I don't wear a bike helmet. I bike almost everyday, sometimes several miles on my way here or there, and I almost never wear a helmet. Why? They are irritating. They make my head sweaty, and they interfere with my pony tail. I just don't like wearing them.

I often am chided for this, as though my helmetlessness was a sign of utter and immature recklessness.

To which I say: I have had a bike wreck almost every summer of my life. I have scraped my knees and my palms and bruised my elbow and once sort of fell, painfully on my face. But I have never once had a bike wreck-related injury that would have been prevented by a helmet. So I guess helmets do make you safer, and there are probably some bike accidents that you could avoid by helmet wearing...but I am willing to take that risk.

To which my chiders say: tsk, tsk, tsk.

Anyway, I'm thinking about this because hopefully sometime soon I will ovulate, and will "start trying" to get pregnant.

And I wonder: what risks am I willing to take with my potentially pregnant body? With my hopefully maturing eggs?

I'm not really talking here about whether the idea of getting pregnant will make me put on a helmet, though that's an interesting question. I'm talking about coffee. About beer. About giving blood. About exercising strenuously. About taking ferility suppliments. About a million things that I could either do or avoid in these last few pre-ovulatory weeks--things which may or may not have some large or small effect on the eggs I may or may not produce.

The other day I wrote about teaching, and when a teacher should say "good enough!" Today I'm thinking about a similar thing, a similar assymptotic curve. I am wondering: when should a potential parent say "safe enough"?

2 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger james, at 4:10 PM  

  • Good for you. It so funny how many people will do things without knowing a single statistic. We wear bike helmets, we recycle, we buy renters insurance. Not that these things are *necessarily* bad choices, but the point is that we do them because our surroundings and stupid notions of "common knowledge" make us.

    As for bike helmets, most who wear them can't even quote a signal statistic on bike deaths. Some say that bike helmets actually make you less safe. Why don't people wear helmets when they are in a car? It makes you safer doesn't it? What about elbow or knee pads when biking? You are 20000 times more likely to be killed by heart desease or cancer, but many of the same helmet wearers still down the tras fats and carcinogens. The hypocracy astounds me.

    By Blogger james, at 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home