Get Clucky!

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Variously Hysterical

I am having a moment when I can't remember if the word "hysteria" relates to the ovaries or to the uterus. And thus: it is a perfect word for me to use here! Because, who knows if my "problem" is my ovaries or my uterus? Who knows? It also could be my pituitary gland, I think, but I don't know a word that means "feeling crazy" and subtly implicates both reproductive and endocrine organs in that craziness.

Anyway....Things are okay here. I have been pretty mopey, which seems only reasonable, but I took myself out for lunch today--wore a sundress and sat outside--and that was very soothing. Happiness=ordering an appetizer just to eat yourself.

I am distracting myself from my "hysteria" by:

1: trying to schedule an exam. This still a little up in the air.

2: Watching _Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle_.
This, you should see. I had the privilege of watching it with TJandon,* and I am sorry that you cannot watch it with them too because you will miss out on the CRAZY LAUGHTER that only TJandon can produce. But you should still see it. I have a friend who teaches it in her "Into to Asian American Lit" class.

*Only one person besides me knows who TJandon are, but hopefully she will understand what I'm talking about here.

3: Watching _Mr. and Mrs. Smith_

Okay , so I read some review of this movie that talked dismissively about how cliche it is to relate sex and violence. And I agree that that is a cliche. But I want to give this movie some props for relating sex and violence in what I found to be a pretty interesting way. To me, the movie raises the question: is wanting to hit your wife (after she shot you with a machine gun and a rifle and threw a knife at you and also got bad curtains) domestic violence? When is hitting your husband domestic violence?

In this movie, Brad and Angelina move in and out of relationships with each other: peers, spouses, competitors. There are different rules in those different roles. I think the movie makes some interesting observations about how those roles do and don't work together--and also about how getting in touch with your anger (and, okay, yes, your violence) might actually be good for your sex life. And, interestingly, how even when you get in touch with all that, you still have to act responsibly and deal with your argument about those damn bad curtains.

Also, the movie is forced to find a gender-neutral term for "hitman." Which is all for the greater good.

....so....

That's what I'm thinking about. I have the sense that this is a little fragmented, but I am going to stop now and hang out with my dog. She loves me even when my ovaries/uterus/pituitary gland is out of whack, and that is a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home