Get Clucky!

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Wait! Ask me again!

Sometimes my dog says that, when we tell her to do something and she isn't paying attention, and then slowly realizes that she's missed out on some treat. "Ask me again! I was listening! Really! I can DO this!"

Okay, so this time--it's my uterine lining saying that.

Friends, I have big news. It is very startling. To me. To my ob/gyn. Also to my no-longer-quite-white underwears.

Yes, it's true--I got my period. A verrry verrry small tiny dot of a period, a one-panty-liner-all-day sort of period, maybe more of an ellipsis really. But a period.

I started having very light spotting tuesday night, and can now report that I am on day two of a menstrual cycle. Never in my life was I so glad to ruin a pair of underpants.

My ob/gyn said, "oh! well."

So I guess the deal is that this is a "weak positive" to the progesterone challenge I took way back when. Which is better than a negative, but still sort of weird. And the lightness of the period indicates that (yes, duh) my uterine lining is very thin, so still lots of recuperation to be done. Probably no bebe anytime soon, but maybe sooner rather than later.

And, since I'm having a "cycle," lets call it that even though it's weird and reticent, I get to start my clomid stuff tomorrow, at 4 pm, with another blood test and an ultrasound. So they can tell me exactly how small my uterine lining is.

So: YAY. Yay!!

I asked many questions about the clomid, and the nurse agreed that it might not be very helpful but that it also wouldn't hurt, and wouldn't I rather try the cheap low-risk thing before the expensive painful high risk things? Why, yes I would. Okay by me to put off injecting myself in the stomach! I'd touch my own cervix first any day. and I'm glad to do something I can start now.


other thoughts in passing:

I can hardly believe I am the person having these conversations. I mean: really.

7 Comments:

  • And you're not just having this conversation, but you're telling the entire Internet about it! I should talk, though -- if/when Provera brings on my period, I'm thinking of taking out a billboard. Or, considering how things have gone today, perhaps I will just announce it to the world by using the "Provera defense" at the murder trial which surely lies in my future.

    Seriously, great news -- any estrogen is better than none, so even a little spotting is good!

    By Blogger Emma B., at 9:06 PM  

  • Congratulations!

    (And now I can't believe I am saying congratulations, like we're some skewed version of "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.")

    But seriously, that is exciting news and I love the parallel you drew to your dog.

    By Blogger Katie (WannaBeMom), at 6:49 AM  

  • Oh god, that's exactly right. My life has become a Judy Blume novel. All this fertility stuff feels much like all those girls in _Margaret_ doing bust-increasing excercises, except with a condescending doctor leading them.

    By Blogger AltMama, at 7:16 AM  

  • That's great! Bring on the Clomid!!!

    By Blogger Nico, at 7:23 AM  

  • I noticed your blog had something to do with Pilates. We've been thinking about adding a Pilates program to our Karate School as an alternative aerobic activity. I really enjoyed the info on your site.

    By Blogger Erik Mann, at 8:32 PM  

  • WOW! What a great site you have here. I found it from my search for alternative medicine baltimore and it's a cut above the others. Even though my research lead me here and the revelance may not be exact, your content is very beneficial and rewarding. Here's some of me results regarding alternative medicine baltimore

    By Blogger Orendon, at 12:32 PM  

  • I just came across your blog about in infertility woman and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about in infertility woman so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by in infertility woman

    By Blogger all about news and such, at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home