Get Clucky!

Friday, July 08, 2005

Pro-Family, Pro-IVF, Pro-Choice

Via Feministe:

I had heard a bit about this, but this article was still very amazing to me: it's about the anti-IVF dimension of anti-choice groups. Though I supppose it shouldn't really be so shocking to read about a protester holding up a sign that says "IVF Kills Babies," when that belief is a natural next step from the basic "life begins at conception" attitude.

I've always been pro-choice...but in the abstract rather than in the personal sense, since I never really thought I would need to get an abortion. But now that i'm taking my first steps into the land of infertility, the attack on IVF really hits home.

There's lots to say about this, but I guess I don't want to get into all my pro-choice views here. But I do want to say: what this emphasizes to me is that, more clearly than ever, it is the pro-choice groups who are on the side of women who want to have babies...and that in allowing women to have control of their reproductivity, one thing we do is to allow them to be the most careful and secure mothers they can be.

Having control of your reproductive system isn't just about your right to have an abortion; it's about your right to be a mom.

2 Comments:

  • I have my own personal views regarding pro-choice/pro-life but I would never impress them upon anyone. We are all free to make that decision for ourselves.

    Frankly, I don't think the government has any place in these kinds of issues. It's comparable to telling fat people they can't buy a cheeseburger from McDonald's. I'm a big girl, but damn you to hell if you're gonna step in front of me and say I can never eat another cheeseburger! Government needs to step-off personal choices. You are the one that has to live with the consequences of your decisions, whether they be eating bad food when you shouldn't or getting an abortion.

    -Dooney
    http://dooneybugdays.typepad.com

    By Blogger Dooneybug, at 10:10 AM  

  • All your points well taken. In general, I get so frustrated when institutions--of any kind--assume that they know what's best for your body better than you do.

    By Blogger AltMama, at 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home