Get Clucky!

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Thoughts about London

B's father is from England, and that whole side of the family still lives in the London area. We just confirmed that everyone is safe.

It's a scary morning. I woke up to Bush's speech. Like him, I think it is so important to show resolve--to continue living and working for what you believe in--in the face of catastrophes like these.

But I was struck by listening to what he said about people with "evil in their hearts." I certainly agree that it is evil to kill innocent people. But what is most terrifying to me is that the people who do this don't think they are evil. They're not anarchists or sadists--they don't do it for fun. They do it because they believe that what they do is good.

Sometimes I can't get my head around that. I've been thinking about it a lot these days, because I've been reading a lot of proslavery pamphlets from the 1840's-50's, and all those people really believe that, in holding slaves, they are doing God's will. It's so horrible to realize.

I guess this morning what I am most scared of is not the mindless forces of evil in the world, but rather the terrifying ways in which rigid belief can turn a commitment to do good into horrible, evil acts against the very people, the very world, you would do good for.

1 Comments:

  • Just checking in, and wondering how things are going... You haven't been forgotten!

    By Blogger Elsie, at 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home